- Molecular analysis of cytologically indeterminate thyroid nodules can help predict biological aggressiveness (benign versus low-grade malignancy versus high-grade malignancy)
- Two general testing formats are available:
- Separate dedicated needle biopsy/rinse
- Material from cytology/surgical pathology microscopic slides
- We previously reported two-stage molecular testing (mutation panel and microRNA classifier) diagnostic yield and performance with needle aspirate/rinse specimens
- Here we extend the review to the different slide formats that are available, incorporating microdissection to enrich for cells of interest
Performance Attributes of Microdissected Slide-Format and Dedicated Needle Aspiration Biopsy Analysis of Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules
Patient management decisions are based on the independent medical judgment of the physician and molecular test results should be taken into consideration in conjunction with all relevant imaging, clinical findings, patient and family history, as well as patient preference.