- Cytology from thyroid nodule biopsy often shows atypia of undetermined significance (AUS) leading to surgery for ultimately benign histology
- Molecular testing, such as ThyGenX/ThyraMIR, can augment clinical decision-making in thyroid nodule management
- ThyGenX/ThyraMIR testing identifies mutations and provides variable risk of malignancy based on genotype and miRNA expression profile
- ThyGenX assesses common genetic alterations across 8 genes associated with papillary and follicular carcinoma
- ThyraMIR is a miRNA gene expression classifier based on evaluation of expression of 10 short, non-coding miRNAs that regulate translation
- This project examined ThyGenX/ThyraMIR testing of thyroid nodules in the San Antonio Military Health System (SAMHS)
Show Me The Money! Institutional Experience with Molecular Testing of Thyroid Nodules
Patient management decisions are based on the independent medical judgment of the physician and molecular test results should be taken into consideration in conjunction with all relevant imaging, clinical findings, patient and family history, as well as patient preference.